Gaza-bound aid ship ‘attacked by Israel forces’
A ship carrying pro-Palestinian activists seeking to breach Israel’s naval blockade on Gaza has “come under attack”
shortly after being approached by Israeli vessels, a spokeswoman said.
“The Estelle is now under attack - I have just had a message from them by phone,” Victoria Strand, a Stockholm-based spokeswoman for the Ship to Gaza Sweden campaign told the AFP news agency on Saturday.
According to Dror Feiler, another spokesperson, the Estelle, whose passengers include five parliamentarians and a former Canadian politician, was attacked at around 08:15 GMT.
“Five or six military vessels surrounded the Estelle. Soldiers wearing masks are now trying to board the ship. The attack took place on international water: N31 26 E33 45,” Feiler said.
The Estelle, whose voyage is being organised by an international pro-Palestinian coalition, is carrying humanitarian goods to the Gaza Strip.
There are 17 activists from around the world on board, including passengers and crew from Canada, Israel, Norway, Sweden and the US.
- Israel calculated number of calories Palestinians would need to avoid malnutrition under its blockade of Gaza
- UN experts: Israel’s blockade of Gaza is illegal
- 80% of Palestinians in Gaza reliant on food aid
- Gaza ‘will not be liveable by 2020’ - UN report
- Figures on Palestinian food security require closer look
- Turkey will never forget 9 Turks killed by Israeli troops on aid flotilla
Now waiting for Rachel Corrie 2.0 i.e. “these civillian activist attacked highly armed commandoes with knives and bats, so of course the IDF had to use necessary force!!!”